Do you want to know the most surprising and interesting gold investment statistics in 2022?
For millennia, gold has been seen as a symbol of wealth and prosperity. Unlike paper currency and other assets, it has managed to maintain its value through the ages.
In this post, we will cover the most surprising and interesting gold investment statistics in 2022. We will also cover celebrity gold investment stats, price stats, gold investment return stats, and other gold facts.
Alright, let us dive in!
Interesting And Surprising Gold Statistics In 2022
Many investors stock up on gold in periods of market turmoil since it holds value through recessions better than other assets.
To give you a better overview, you can check out our gold investment statistics and facts 2022 infographic or continue reading the text below:
Share this Image On Your Site
To begin, in the United States, 12% of Americans own gold, and 11.6% own silver.
Interestingly enough, 6.5% of Millennials actually own both gold and silver, which may indicate that the younger crowd knows to diversify their assets.
Here are more interesting and surprising gold statistics:
- In Q3 of 2021, the United States held 65.55% of the gold reserves, or over 8,000 metric tons
- Today, a ton of gold is worth more than $55 million
- Australia is the 2nd largest producer of gold, after China, with its 10,000 metric tons
- In 2020, Russia surpassed the US dollar in the value of gold reserves
- China produced around 13% of the world’s gold in 2020, which, according to GlobalData, grew another 5% in 2021
- In 2020, China’s gold imports decreased by 78.5% because of the regulatory restrictions and the impact of COVID
- In 2019, 11% of world wide reserve assets consisted of gold and 48.5% of gold is used in the jewelry industry
- Over 40% of produced gold comes from the Witwatersrand Basin in South Africa
- The underground gold is estimated to be at least 54,000 tonnes
- As of December 2019, gold was the 3rd leading major financial asset worldwide
- And had the 3rd average daily trading volume at $145.5 billion
- 74% of central banks worldwide invest in physical gold
Gold Investment Returns Statistics
Gold is the most popular precious metal for investors who want to protect their wealth and hedge against inflation.
In addition, the number of central banks buying gold is expected to increase substantially in 2022.
- In 2019, gold had a whopping 235.75% return rate compared to only 24.6% in 2020
- The 2021 GoldHub report shows that gold was the 2nd best major asset in 2020
- In a recent study, 79% of the respondents viewed gold’s performance during times of crisis as an important reason to hold gold
- And 74% of respondents from the same study considered gold’s lack of default risk to be the key reason for holding the yellow metal
- 20% of investors in 2021 said they will increase their own gold holdings, compared to 8% in 2020
- Gold has outperformed stocks by 6 times in the past 18 years
Gold Price Statistics
Billionaire Thomas Kaplan believes that gold is on the cusp of a new decade-long bull market that will push the price well past $3,000 to $5,000 an ounce.
Here’s a sample of gold price statistics so far:
- In 2021, the average gold closing price per troy ounce was $1,798.70
- And in 2020, one ounce of gold had an annual average price of $1,769.64 compared to $1,393.34 in 2019
- The average price has grown significantly from the early 2000s with an annual average price of $279 per troy ounce in 2001 up to record highs of $2,067.15 in 2020
- The current market value of all gold is estimated to $11.258 trillion
- The gold price has increased by an impressive 300% in the last 15 years
- The average price of gold reached a new record in 2020, as investors sought a safe haven due to the economic effects of COVID
Celebrity Gold Investment Statistics
Here are some celebrity gold investment statistics:
- Billionare, Tomas Kaplan, has invested over $2 billion in gold
- CEO of Galaxy Investment Partners, Michael Novogratz, has invested over $250 million in crypto
- Billionaire hedge fund manager, John Paulson, has over $4.6 billion invested in gold
- Founder of Everblue Management, Eric Mindich, has invested over $800 million in gold
- American entrepreneur, investor, and software engineer, Marc Andreessen, has invested over $50 million in crypto
- The world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, has invested a big part of his net worth in precious metals
- According to Markets Insider, Rich Dad Poor Dad’ author Robert Kiyosaki is hoarding bitcoin, gold, and silver. He plans to scoop up bargains once the market crashes
- Performance coach, Tony Robbins, said in a Fortune article “The best offense is a good defense. And that defense is gold for many investors since it can withstand changes better than most other investments and is not tied to any single currency or economy”
Other Gold Facts
Did you know that NASA uses gold to improve its lasers and protect sensitive things in space, including a part of the visor for its astronauts?
Here are other interesting gold facts:
- Gold stands outside of the financial system and cannot be controlled by the government, offering investors more power
- Most of the demand for gold worldwide is used for investment purposes, particularly by central banks
- Central banks or nations often hold gold reserves to store value as a guarantee to redeem promises to pay depositors or to secure a currency
- Gold keeps or increases its value when the dollar is devalued
- The yellow metal is one of the oldest global currencies
- Gold has limited demand, which makes it even more valuable
- Barrick Gold is the world’s largest gold mining company
- Gold is considered a safe investment since it does not revolve around a country’s economic stability, like other paper assets.
- The quantity of gold would fill about 120 standard-sized shipping containers
How To Invest In Gold For Beginners
If you are a beginner and want to learn how to invest in gold, we recommend that you check out our complete gold investing guide.
It will help you learn the best ways to buy gold and whether to invest in physical gold, futures options EFT’s, gold mining stocks, or gold funds.
Already have a retirement plan, such as a 401(k), and want to roll over parts of your assets into a gold IRA?